he Aadhaar card holders who have yet not done linked their bank account or PAN card with Aadhaar, they can breathe a sigh of relief. The Center has informed that it has extended the mandatory Aadhaar card linking deadline till March 31, 2018 for various services and welfare schemes.
“It has come to notice that some of the taxpayers have not yet completed the linking of PAN with Aadhaar. Therefore, to facilitate the process of linking, it has been decided to further extend the time for linking of Aadhaar with PAN till 31st March, 2018,” the ministry has said in a statement.
The Supreme Court has set up a five-judge Constitution bench to hear the plea of petitioners who have challenged this move of government of linking Aadhaar with various services on the grounds of right to privacy. The hearing will take place next week. While the deadline for bank account and PAN card have been extended, the last date for linking your mobile phone with Aadhaar remains February 6, 2018.
The government earlier had announced December 31 , 2017 as the deadline for all Aadhaaris to link their 12 digit Aadhaar card number with bank accounts, PAN card, various other services and wellfare schemes for the poor. Shyam Divan, a senior advocate representing those who are opposed to the Aadhaar linking, told the bench that the centre should give an undertaking that no coercive steps should be taken against those who fail to link their Aadhaar card.
Also Read: Is August 31 the deadline for Aadhaar-PAN linking? Yes, no and it’s complicated
So now the new deadline for the PAN card, bank account and other services is March 31, 2018. The government has made it mandatory to link Aadhaar number with PAN card, bank account and various services to bring transparency and get hold of illegal black money.
Here’s how to link your bank account with Aadhaar card:
There are two ways to link your bank account with Aadhaar-offline and online. For offline method, fill up the Aadhaar application form and carry it along to your bank. For online, it can be done via net banking.
To check if your bank account has been linked or not, follow these steps:
1. Go to the UIDAI website.
2. Click on Check Aadhaar & Bank Account Linking Status
3. Enter your Aadhaar number and security code. An OTP will be generated and sent to your registered mobile number. Enter the OTP and login.
4. You can now see the status of your Aadhaar linking.
You can also check the status through your mobile phone. Just dial *99*99*1# > enter your Aadhaar number> confirm. You will now be able to see the status. Please note that this is only possible if your mobile number is linked to Aadhaar.
To link Aadhaar with PAN card:
1. Log on to the Income Tax department’s e-filing portal — www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in.
2. Enter the asked details and click on Link Aadhaar shown at the end of the page. You PAN card is now linked to Aadhaar.
To link phone number with Aadhaar:
1. Visit your nearest Aadhaar centre or download the Aadhaar update form.
2. Fill up the form with the phone number you want to link.
3. Submit the form along with photocopy of your Aadhaar and a id proof document such as PAN card, Voter ID card etc.
4. Your form submission will be verified after which you will be given an acknowledgement slip. Your phone number will be linked within 10 days.